Monday, August 17, 2009

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies!


As I prepared my meal plan about a month ago, i came a cross a chocolate chip recipe on one of my favorite blogs, Cheeseslaves! This blog has made my transition to eating the Nourishing Traditions way, so much easier with tips, recipes and general healthy eating knowledge. I highly recommend this book to EVERYONE! It's amazing the lies we've been told about what we eat by the food industry and the FDA, and this book clears the matter up! The book is actually:




oh, sorry.. got completely off track.. :) I came across the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (that I have modified since then, mostly because I didn't have everything I needed at the time!) Feel free to use the original recipe above, or my modified recipe below, they are both honestly very good, but my modifications made this already amazing recipe produce even more perfect cookies! I have never baked a more perfect cookie then these! Crisp on the outside, soft an chewy on the inside. enjoy!

The "Perfect" Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour (i used fresh ground, but regular whole wheat worked too!)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 TBSP salted grass-fed butter (butter from grass-fed cows)
2 TBSP organic extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup plus 4 tablespoons organic evaporated cane juice (we got our Florida Crystals Organic Cane Sugar at walmart)
1 large pastured egg (or free-range if you can’t find pastured)
1/4 teaspoon water
(original recipe calls for) 6 ounces organic non-GMO chocolate chips (available at the health food store) BUT I ran out and used 2 oz Ghirardelli all natural 60% cacao bittersweet baking bar. NOTE: it's good with both! if you want the healthier version, use the chips. If you don't mind, use the bar. I will use the chips whenever i have them, they do not effect the taste of the cookie, but they do effect how health they are.. :)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. MELT the butter until just melted, pour into a bowl and add the coconut oil and sugar. Mix by hand until just blended. Add the egg and water and mix until just blended.

3. by hand, stir (or fold) in the flour and baking soda until just blended.

4. Add the chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed. OR use a knife to cut your bar into slices, and then cut across he slices so you get small chunks about the size of a pinky nail. mix them in until evenly distributed.

4. pick up rounded Tablespoons of dough, and gently shape into a ball (don't handle to much!) and place onto baking sheets (I line my baking sheets with Silpat silicone baking mats). Bake 10-12 minutes.

5. Transfer cookies to wire rack. Store in airtight container.

Easy Peasy! perfect cookies! enjoy!



No comments: